Membership in our Coven
New Member Processing Suspended Until Further Notice
Due to continued concerns related to the COVID-19 virus, Degarrin’s general ministerial and membership services remain suspended until further notice, including the member petition process.
Degarrin extends membership opportunities to individuals based on demonstrated ability, experience, training and compatibility with other members of Degarrin. We do not discriminate against others based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, origin, ancestry, veteran status or age (except as outlined in our requirements section). However, Degarrin does not currently have the space required to accommodate those with physical disabilities.
If you are interested in joining, you must go through a petition, interview, and assessment process. This may include submitting a Membership Petition, an interview, completing assessment courses and attending open gatherings and/or socials. This provides an opportunity to assess your potential and overall compatibility with the Coven as a whole.
Initial Steps to Membership:
- Register at our site.
- Read over the Membership Requirements in detail below. Also, be sure to check out the Membership FAQs and general Degarrin FAQs.
- Remit the completed Petition. To access the Petition, you must be a registered user and logged into the site. A link to the Petition may be found at the bottom of this page.
- Wait for a reply. A member of Degarrin will contact you regarding the Petition. We ask that you be patient, as this generally takes anywhere from 7 to 14 days after submission.
- Additional steps in the process, beyond the Petition, may include an interview, social interaction, and/or final assessment.
Anyone wanting to become a member of Degarrin must meet the following:
- At least eighteen years old.
- Local to the Lexington area.
- Have a reliable means of transportation.
- Completed a minimum of Jr. High School education (High School Diploma or Equivalency Preferred).
- Able to speak, read, and write English.
- Available to meet weekly on Sunday evenings.
- Able to obtain needed materials (e.g. Vestment, books, etc.).**
- Comfortable with and have regular access to a computer and internet.
- Possess a valid Gmail Account.
- Familiar with and utilize Google Services/Softwares including Calendars, Drive, Search, Maps, etc.
- Maintain a planner/organizer (including digital e.g. google calendar/contacts/tasks etc.)
- Own a smartphone (e.g. iOS/Android).
- Familiar with and be willing to utilize other software including Messaging, Project & Web Applications.
- Able to successfully complete the free Member Candidacy assessment/online courses offered by Degarrin.
- Ready to volunteer community assistance on behalf of Degarrin with the understanding that your identity will not be private.
- Able to support the Coven through volunteer time, service, or offerings.**
- Devote ten hours minimum per week for studies and other activities.
- Be able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Perform minimal dancing, meditative poses, ritual gestures which will include limited bending, squatting, pushing/pulling, reaching above shoulder level, and performing repetitive manual dexterity.
- Willing to complete the Seminary program.
The Degarrin Seminary
Degarrin also provides its members with a seminary program that offers several different theological degrees. All members are required to complete the program up through the Doctorate Degree level. Some of the topics discussed in the program include the Suldarrian Tradition, parapsychology, religious tolerance, ethics, psychic sciences, magickal arts, paranormal phenomenon, wellness, organization, time management, communications, and general personal development.
The program is a system of coursework that includes on-line and correspondence learning, group process, and individual mentoring. A member’s progress is assessed through status reports, exams, ministerial sessions, performance appraisals, and group attunement. Upon successful completion of the program, each member is eligible for advancement within the Coven.
Below is a short list of books that Degarrin often recommends to those who are just starting out on the Path; several of these authors also have books available at more advanced levels as well. These books should be available at most major bookstores and/or the local library.
- Pagan Ways by Gwydion O’Hara
- True Magick by Amber K
- Embracing the Moon by Yasmine Galenorn
- To Ride A Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf
- Any books by Scott Cunningham
Additionally, we also refer those who are not sure of their path to take the Belief Net Faith Quiz. It helps identify one’s beliefs and the faith which matches it.
**Although members are not under any obligation to provide monetary offerings to Degarrin, it is strongly encouraged that they set aside $25 per month to cover the cost of their name tag(s), group shirt(s) purchase, and any other materials.
In addition, prospective members must not smoke, chew tobacco, harvest tobacco products, or partake of any recreational drugs. This restriction also applies to all forms of herbal cigarettes, alternative nicotine, and vapor products. Degarrin finds these items to not only be harmful to the user, but also to people in the immediate vicinity and the environment. As such, the Coven has determined that the use of these products is in violation of Degarrin’s Rede and Virtues, and cannot be supported.